How To Make A Guest List
Yo! Thanks for making a Guest List for Faux Sounds! The best way to figure out how to make a list for Faux Sounds is to go look at the other Guest Lists and monkey-see monkey-do. Below are some more specifics:
- Make a playlist in Spotify*. The playlist should be around an hour in duration. This is not hard and fast, just something to shoot for. The playlist can be whatever you want - themed by a specific genre, a chronological catalogue of your favorite songs, things you think most people don't know but should, whatever. Remember, you're going to write a little something about each of these songs, so if you don't have a single thing to say about a song it might not be the best choice. At heart, this is just a hi-tech way of making a mixtape. Make something you think you'll want to listen to in a year. Have fun.
- Write something about each of the songs. As you'll see in the Monthly Lists, song annotations can be anywhere from 2 words to 200. Remember, the premise of the whole blog is that this is music appreciation, not music criticism - so don't worry about doing research or trying to show off how much you know or worry about not knowing enough. Tell us what you like about the song, what it means to you, a fun thing you think we should know, etc. You can write about the music itself, or tell a story about your life that illustrates why the song has meaning to you. Imagine that you are on a long road trip with your best friend playing your mixtape and telling them about each song as it comes on.
- Send me an email (email@example.com) with a link to your playlist in Spotify (you can get this by "right-clicking" on the list name) and your annotation. The annotation should have the title of each song followed by your writing about it. It can be attached to the email in Word (or whatever program you use) or right in the body of the email.
- Give me a silly picture of yourself. Include in the above email the silliest picture of yourself that you can bear sharing with the world. (See below for some encouragement.)
- Wait till I put it up on the blog and let all your friends know about it!
Let me know if you have any questions. Don't have Spotify? No problem. Send me a list of the songs on your playlist and I'll try to put something together. As I point out, not everything is on Spotify. I haven't resolved this challenge for myself yet, so let's cross that bridge together when we get there.
Muchas muchas! ~ Josh B. Fox
*If you're having trouble finding everything you want on Spotify, and you are finding it on YouTube, that is also a viable option.